Now more than ever before, musicians and artists are taking a DIY approach to creating, releasing and exploiting their music. Some are self-releasing now with hopes of securing a future record deal, but others see it as a long-term strategy for their careers. Either way, if you are planning to release your own music then it’s vital you understand some fundamentals about the way the music industry works and how your music can generate revenue.
19.00 – Doors Open
19.15 – 20.15 – Mind Your Own Business
In this session, The Musicians’ Union will explain how record labels and music publishers make their money and how independent artists can do the same.
• Copyright law and protecting your work
• The difference between Master Rights and Publishing Rights (PRS, MCPS and PPL)
• The business models behind record labels and music publishers (and how that applies to you)
• Artists agreements and performers’ permissions you need to secure before you can release
20.15 – 20.30 – Break
20.30 – 21.30 – How To Get the Most from PRS Membership
In this session, PRS for Music will take you through the practicalities of self service using the PRSfM website.
• How to register or amend works
• How to search the PRSfM works database
• How to report performance usage
• How to claim unpaid royalties
This evening will conclude with networking drinks.
Attendance to this event is free, but numbers are limited so it’s essential you book a space if you wish to come along.
If you have any questions or specific access requirements, please email PRS for Music at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Thu, 12 March 2020
19:00 – 22:00 GMT
169-173 High Street